Transferring Plates

In Alaska, you must title and register your vehicle at the same time. In some cases, though, you can simply transmit ownership along with plates. The following article will walk you through these stages and give you some basic information.
Transferring a Car Title and Plates In AK
To transfer your title or number tags, you have to provide the following documentation:
  • Identity verification
  • a filled in and signed out request form (form 812)
  • residency proof
  • driver's license
  • current Alaska license plate
  • proof of insurance
You have to provide both tags. They mustn’t be damaged. In case you’ve lost one of them, you should first apply for a replacement.
Take into account that you can only transfer the decals to your new automobile or motorcycle. In all other cases, you will need to surrender them. You cannot switch from common to custom tags by just shifting the ownership. However, there are several Alaska license plate options to choose from if you just surrender the previous ones.
The designation is generally signed by the automobile’s owner. The vendor has to supply you with odometer disclosure documents, and the car must pass emissions testing. Bring all of your papers and payment to the MVD in your area.
When you submit the DMV transmit papers and pay the fees, your car will be registered. If this is your first time titling an automobile, you should do so in person.

Out-of-state transfer

In case you work in AK, you have to register your car within 10 working days. For two months, a non-resident may drive a vehicle with current registration from another state.
If you have just moved here for a long period of time, it’s better to run an Alaska license plate lookup, check the availability of your desired combination, and get a new one.
You will need to bring your out-of-state documents as well as a VIN check when relocating to AK. The latter is essential to demonstrate that your automobile is neither stolen nor involved in any criminal activity.
The above-mentioned documents are all necessary for the shift. If it is a new vehicle, both the manufacturer's declaration of origin and the invoice should be presented. If you're buying a used automobile or motorcycle, you'll need an odometer statement, which is also required for a private sale.

Fees and Applicable Payments

Generally, the fee is $5 for most types of number tags. However, take into account that the prices may differ. The below-mentioned types are subject to a $5 charge.
  • Specialty
  • Veteran
  • University
  • Children's Trust
  • Charitable Exempt
  • Choose LIfe
  • Support Our Troops
  • Pro-Family Pro-Choice
  • Fire Fighter / EMS
  • Fraternal Organization
  • Iditerod Finisher
  • In God We Trust
  • Lao Veteran
  • National Guard
  • NRA
  • Non-Profit
  • Government Exempt
  • National Guard
  • Purple Heart
However, there is a fee waiver for Disabled Vet; Disability; Gold Star Family; Prisoner of War, and Pearl Harbor Survivor types.

Do I need insurance?

Yes, you do need insurance. The owner of a vehicle in Alaska is required by law to carry liability insurance in force that covers the minimum amounts from $50,000 for any single person's bodily harm or death up to $100,000 for bodily injury or death as a result of an accident.