Special Titles

In general, every vehicle owner should register his/her car or motorcycle and obtain ownership. However, besides the common ones, there are also Alaska Special Titles. Let’s have a look at them and get to know how to obtain a Special Title.

Add Owner

In reality, the Alaska DMV permits residents to add or remove a proprietor from an auto. You only need to take the original title to the local office. Following that, both the buyer and seller have to sign the bill of sale. The seller in this example is the prior owner, and the buyer is the one who is being added.
The same is true for the removal procedure. The papers are signed by both the seller and the buyer. Later, the buyer will have to deal with a new Application for Registration.

Abandoned Vehicles

Whenever someone abandons his motorcar for more than 24 hours or in some cases for 30 days, police define it as an Abandoned Vehicle. So, the keeper of private property can ask law authorities to remove the automobile. Then it should be auctioned off by the state or municipality. The new proprietor can then apply for a license by surrendering the affidavit of sale. If the proprietor returns during the auction, he or she may provide the necessary documents and get back the car.
To obtain the ownership you must have the following documents ready:
  • Involuntary Lien
  • Signed and Filled in the Application
  • Notice Copy
  • The completed return receipt or the notification that was returned as non-deliverable denied, or unclaimed (unopened)
  • Certificate Of Inspection

College Exception

College students who live outside AK may apply to get a College Exception. First of all, you have to submit a proof letter from your university. The letter has to state that you are a full-time student at a university out of AK.
The required records for the application are:
  • Original request form filled in and signed
  • Original Title or Original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • Proof letter as mentioned above
  • Odometer
  • Payment checks
  • Lienholder info if available
  • Power of Attorney
If ready, you have to mail the papers or sign in online to fill in the required data. If you are yet in the state, you may pay a visit.

Court Orders

A court order can be used to transfer the right of property. A bankruptcy, divorce, or inability to comply with the conditions of a loan deal can all result in a court judgment. A court order should be accepted in place of ownership in the instance of an involuntary transfer. If the title is still available, it should be presented to the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Whenever the court order is ready, pay a visit to the facility and have the all documents along with your proof of identity with you.

Deceased Owner

If a deceased individual owns a motorcar solely or jointly with the conjunction "AND," the letter becomes part of that person's estate and has to go through formal or informal probate proceedings. A successor to the dead proprietor should claim ownership to a minor estate of $150,000.00 or less by an Affidavit for an Estate with Assets of $15,000.
To register a car in a new name, the following paperwork has to be submitted:
  • A properly completed Application, including with odometer reading.
  • A lawfully released or a lost ownership declaration that has been notarized.
  • Letters of Testamentary, Administration, and Appointment

Foreign Vehicles

If you are going to bring a car or motorcycle to Alaska from another state or country, you have to contact the DMV to bring it into the state. Take into account that any automobile registered in Alaska must be manufactured to U.S. specifications. If the automobile is ordinarily required to undergo an I/M test, you shall receive authorization from the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C. to present your documentation.
In case you are a military worker contact the Military Traffic Management Command.

Homebuilt Vehicle and Trailer

An auto or a trailer that is not produced by a manufacturer in AK must be registered as homebuilt.
Reconstructed or homebuilt automobiles have to be registered with the DMV. A law enforcement officer must inspect the car.
person may request a special one-way trip permit from the DMV to bring the automobile to the office for inspection. After inspection, he or she must complete Reconstructed Affidavit or Homebuilt Trailer Affidavit. Later, there is a need to submit it along with the inspection, bills of sale, and an Application to the DMV.

Military Exemption

Military workers that are on active duty are eligible for an exemption. The main requirement, though, is to be the vehicle's proprietor or co-owner. While you are on active service outside of Alaska, the Division will continue to renew your registration by mail.
To get the exemption the service worker has to submit your mailing and living addresses where you are currently staying. Later you have to provide your MCO, Leave and Earning Statement, Military ID, and payment cheques. If there is a lienholder, please, submit his or her documents as well.